This is the fifth and for now the final installment in the Make-Your-Dreams-Come-True series of posts. Once you are clear on your goals, it’s time to make things happen! Planning, organisation and regular reflection on how things are going can turn a lofty dream into an achievable goal.
Tips for turning a goal into reality:
- Use the SMART approach (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound), to further define your goals.
- Make a Master Plan/Timeline
I like to make the master-plan/timeline pretty and pleasant/motivating to look at, including tick-boxes to check-off as I complete things. I also place it somewhere I can see it and refer to it each day. There is something very satisfying about crossing or ticking things off as you go!
- Each day look the timeline and think about what you want to achieve for that day or week and make a list of things to do in the immediate future
- Each week , briefly reflect on how things are going and if anything needs to change
- Customise the timeline to the goal and the way you like to do things.
For example, if there is not a definite deadline eg. the goal is to run a blog… the plan could be structured as follows…
If there is a definite deadline, eg the goal is to pass an exam, then the master plan might be organized as below. It’s a good idea to build in contingency time. Things often take longer than expected. I always include a plan to “celebrate” after the deadline has passed. It seems to help me maintain a positive mindset and remember what I am working towards!
Good luck with your dream-making, planning and achieving. If you decide to try any of these tips, do let me know you go in the comments below!